When George R. R. Martin came to Toronto on a whirlwind tour earlier this month, he made a stop at our Indigo Manulife Centre flagship store for a book signing. To make things even better, he agreed to sit down with me for an Indigo.ca exclusive interview.
Now, I’ve been down this road before. As you may recall, last year I interviewed Martin ahead of the release of A Dance with Dragons, though that was done via conference call and, while still exhilarating, was nothing compared to actually sitting down with The Master.
As you saw in my previous post, the store was all done up for the event, with somewhere north of 800 people queued up for signatures.
As for me, I will have to admit that I felt a bit tongue-tied and, after watching the interview, I can see that I did ramble and trip over my words at times, though I guess that this is to be expected when you sit down with someone you admire and whose work you have been following for more than a decade.
Enough preamble. Here is the interview, and my YouTube debut:
Some things to take away:
- Game of Thrones Season 2 starts April 1st on HBO
- Three Dunk and Egg novellas are down, with the last one to appear in the anthology Dangerous Women and the Bantam collection appearing at least two years from now
- For A Feast of Ice and Fire, it’s all about the lemon cakes
- Martin’s last great read was Stephen King’s latest, 11/22/63
- Being a literary rock star is tiring
- Buy HBO’s Game of Thrones on DVD and Blu-Ray
I know what you’re thinking – I want a mug like the one that George R. R. Martin was drinking from in the interview. Well, good news, because you can get your very own Stark Stein on Indigo.ca!
I have to say that I am still on a high from my interview and, despite disliking the sound of my voice; I think I have watched it more than is probably healthy.
Many thanks to Mr. Martin for taking time out of his busy tour to speak with us and to the folks at Random House for making it happen.